1.19.2007

Humming in my dreams...

This, apparently, is the new thing I've taken up. Cos says it's very cute, especially as it's punctuated by small giggles. He asked me what I was humming, as he doesn't recognize the tune. Of course, being asleep, I'm not chock full of the useful knowledge in this regard.

I tell him it's my theme song.

"Each person who ever was or will be has a song... Take Daisy, for example. Her song, which had been somewhere in the back of her head for most of her life, had a reassuring, marching sort of beat, and words that were about protecting the weak, and it had a chorus that began, "Evildoers beware!" and was thus much too silly ever to be sung out loud. She would hum it to herself sometimes though, in the shower, during the soapy bits."

- Neil Gaiman,
Anansi Boys

He liked that. That, along with the bits about how a lime was "just a lime" are some of the best moments of that book.

Anyway, I figure it might be because yesterday I was taken off contract at my new job. It's a wonderful new job, much like the old one started out. However, this one's for an actual company, not some guy's demented harem, and therefore, it's unionized. This means that if they decide to change the rules (Say, cancelling overtime but expecting the same hours' of work, or neglecting to give vacation pay, etc.) they can't. Or they'd have an awful lot of explaining to do. And a lot of angry union-types on their collective asses. Also, my boss is sweet.

Long story short, I left [crappy company] for [good company] on a hope and a dream. Seriously, it was a three month contract, but things were so bad I was willing to wing it. And on the day I went in to sign my contract (Fancy that - actual contracts!) I was informed that they had received budget to hire us on full time. Eventually.

Eventually came yesterday in the guise of my giggling and excited boss, and I, of course, signed my new contract that removes me from the realm of contract players immediately.

And tomorrow the Square Tablers are getting together to celebrate Dan's birthday. I know we had a Christmas get together and before that a Halloween party and before that CPS and Polly got married. But it seems like forever since we broke bed together, and for this I'm very excited, although slightly worried, in the "Will the East! crowd appreciate us being loud and rowdy? Will we be loud and rowdy when surrounded with the East! crowd? etc.)

Anywho, very exciting, definitely worth humming about.

Now if I could only figure out the words to my theme...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home