8.17.2004

This would be so cool...

I'm serious. I think this is wonderful. I know, I know, the articles all say that there's no definitive proof that John the Baptist was ever actually there, but - and I am aware how bad this will sound if you don't hear me out - like fairies and Santa Claus, I insist on believing in these things. I was heartbroken when James' ostuary was "proven" fake.

As for comparing the coffin of Jesus' brother or a cave where John the Baptist possibly hid out to Santa Claus and fairies, I know that sounds blasphemous, naughty, or silly. Whatever you'll call it, these things all have something in common. Suspension of disbelief.

It's required for all kinds of things, including getting out of bed some mornings. Don't tell me you never have those days when your alarm goes off and you lie there contemplating the horrors you know are on their way for the day. And somehow, someway, you find the strength and resolution to get out of bed and face said horrors. Suspension of disbelief. "The dentist won't drill too far this time," "My boss will call in sick for the next six weeks," or even "Michael Jackson's just as in touch with reality as the next guy." Suspension of disbelief, kids.

Hey, at least I can admit it.

So, in case you've been living under a rock, the Olympics started this weekend. I know, how original, mentioning the Olympics right now. I'm creative, that's why you love me. Anyway, I really can't stand them too much, for reasons I won't go into here, most of which revolve around my being Canadian, naturally. I may start a cranky rant sometime over the next two weeks, but I wouldn't count too much on it.

This is all a long way of bringing you to Cosmo's first "official" contribution to the blog. This is what I get for not paying attention: Not only is table tennis a sport, but so is race walking. Not speed walking. That's what old people do in malls before they open each morning. This is a sport, people.

This just ads fuel to my idea that not only is there a terrible conspiracy involved in the Olympics, but also that they didn't have enough sports to make summer games commercially viable. I'm just saying.

I still haven't read the book, but if this woman's disgruntlement is anything to go by, I'll be borrowing it from Princess Rachel when I return home. It's a blog-style version of Eats, Shoots & Leaves. I'm definately the elipses offender, but at least I'm aware of it.

So, if anyone out there is paying attention, please stand up and wave. I'm trying to initiate my mother into the joys of blogging, as she has lots to say on all kinds of topics and definately needs a forum to get herself started. Hiya, mumsy!!

And, in regards to my belief in fairies and Santa and the like, I'd like to bring some J.M. Barrie into your life.

"You see children know such a lot now, they soon don't believe in fairies, and every time a child says, `I don't believe in fairies,' there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead."

And so I still believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home