10.07.2004

Corporate Whore...

kitty pettin
flower sniffin
baby kissin
corporate rock
whores

-Nirvana




God, anyone remember those shirts?

So, here's the longish version of the story. I'll admit, I don't really have the heart or energy to put it down, but this is the way these things go.

On Friday I had my "interview" at the temp agency and was asked within five minutes of entering the room if I'd like to start Monday. Well, yes and no. Yes, because I haven't been gainfully employed in months and neither has Cosmo so we're kind of hurting for money. And no because, as if it were possible, this is even further from where I wanted to be, career wise, than the bank. At least the bank was a mid-point job. And geographically it was across a parking lot from the CBC and down the street from the Chum Building, with Q and the edge four blocks away. Made me feel a bit better.

Anyway, Monday I show up bright and early-ish and shiny-faced (In the good way) only to be told that my new boss Melanie has a boss who doesn't like Melanie to decide on new hires without her permission. So I'm in limbo.

The boss also doesn't believe in having people work on a temp basis. Nice. It's a friggin' temp agency. But they don't hire temps.

So while I was promised a base salary to compare with what I was making at the bank, I may have stumbled, inadvertently, into what amounts to an unpaid internship. Contingent upon my potential boss' boss liking me.

Now, here's the thing: I could get an unpaid internship with the edge and it would be much more to my liking. I also wouldn't have to wear a suit that I can't afford every day.

And so we set up a meeting. To be had yesterday. To which the boss' boss couldn't make it. So she came today to meet me at 10:30 am. And she didn't meet with me until 4:00 pm, but interviewed someone else for the position at 11 am. Someone else she really liked and didn't hesitate to praise in my hearing. I know, why should there be a hurry to accept or regect the girl who's been doing all the shit work all week? Why ask why, for that matter?

When I asked Mel if they were keeping me she admitted that nothing had been said to her.

So here's me learning all this stuff I may not need next week, working for a week at a job that may not be paying me. And I'll admit that the nightmare call centre job last week was one of the last things I wanted, but at least it was a solid offer with an actual cheque. If I hadn't said yes to Melanie, I'd be picking up a cheque tomorrow morning. As it is, I don't even know if I'm getting paid for this past week.

To top it all off, Friday I was promised my own ID and e-mail. Monday I learn I'm using the ID and e-mail of a girl who quit two weeks ago. Name of Zahra. I can't even get email through to Cosmo's super protected mail box, not that I've got time for it, 'cause I'm supposed to look busy while not doing anything at all.

For the record, I've been nice and pliant and easily forgiving this week. Next week I shall be someone entirely different. Actually, they have tomorrow and Tuesday to tell me what's what with my future or else I'll not be anyone at all there - I shall be someone entirely gone.

And so, tomorrow is Friday, and none to soon, for thus ends my week in limbo.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 p.m., Blogger the gurl mentioned between naked girations...

Wow, Si... I just got the light fluffies from that ;)

Thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home