9.12.2004

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig...

"I was out of the radio starting to change
somewhere out in America
it's starting to rain
could you tell me the things you will remember about me
and have you seen me lately?"

Have You Seen Me Lately?
Counting Crows



Long trip. Not as long as it may seem, but quite long enough, thank you very much.

So, right after I posted last time, I went out onto the balcony for a cigarette and there below our car was a bunny. Right in the middle of the city, a sweet little bunny. I called Cosmo out, and instead of seeing the bunny, he noticed that the car was leaking. Thank god it was just the a/c defrosting. I mean, 12 hours in a car is hard on all involved - The poor car just needed some time off.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, but I did realize two things. One, when Cosmo orders rain, the gods listen. And two, Ohio is way too large and definately in the way between here and there.

Oh, another thing: The people at the border were still taking their healthy dosage of "be-a-dick" pills. It's good to know some things never change. Although, I find it really hard to believe that in this day and age they still get so confused when they encounter a car with an American and a Canadian in it. I also find it really hard to understand why my bank account matters to these people, but it does, as do my recent transactions. Big Brother really is watching, kids.

All I can say is, thank god they didn't check the car. No, I wasn't importing cases of Mexican tequilla or cartons of cheaper, assier cigarettes. We were brining in DVD's. Mine that we brought down for the trip, and Cosmo's, since he is for all intents and purposes living here. It's just that we stuffed about 100 into the trunk of the car, all opened and well-loved. But try explaining that to someone who wants to do cavity searches for money. Thank you, gods who brought us rain and saved us from the Customs deamons.

Nashville is wonderful. I mean, I know it was only a night and a morning, but everyone there is so Southern and charming. It more than made up for the lack of Southerness I encounter in Houston. The city's pretty and clean, too.

Ohio's pretty, but like I said, too big. Also, five hours from end to end at the angle we were driving at and the rain didn't let up the whole time.

So we got home and proceeded to destroy the room. The two of us together have far too much stuff and the past few days have been dedicated to reorganizing everything so we both fit and feel at home. So far so good, with only one minor blowout - I'm very protective of my books and their place in the world.

So far we've managed to hook up with Rachel. St. Teresa and Dancing Eric have just moved into a new place and are very unwilling to surface and spend time with the rest of us. Chelsea thwarted our surprise attack and came out screaming. So much for showing up on her doorstep like the waifs we feel like these days.

Other than that, the weather is perfect. I don't mean "kind of nice" or "okay, but I wish it were more/less..." I mean Perfect. That's right, with a capital "P." And thanks to Houston, we aren't even feeling the considerable (Approximately %90) humidity.

Tomorrow I start looking for employment. Yay me. It's been almost 6 years since I had to look for anything, and the best I can say is that thanks to the bank, I know exactly what I'm not looking for in a job. Also, I've learned exactly how much work isn't required for promotions, so come Christmas, I may be the CEO of somewhere new.

Here's a funny link for today.

Anyway, there's much more to get done around here, but the place is feeling more liveable, instead of just lived in. It was starting to get that cardboard box feeling, probably due to all the cardboard boxes we unearthed trying to clean the place out. Totally my bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home